We're taking a bit of a breather while the world rearranges its underpants. Meanwhile, the other blog is here.

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Tired

There are two strike days next week and those of us in the union will be expected to join in. I'm not altogether comfortable with the business of disrupting services by strike action but I'm rather more uncomfortable with the business of disrupting services because we can't or won't recruit people and invent reasons to stop low-paid staff progressing through the pay scales.

No doubt some well-paid MP with an interesting suite of semi-transparent allowances will point out that this is a time to batten the hatches because there's a credit squeeze, the same way as they point out that pay restraint in the public sector is essential for the good times never to end.

Looking round the library I can only think that regardless of the outcome of the action people will be glad of the breather.

6 comments:

Gadjo Dilo said...

Will they call in emergency services to cover for you when you're on strike (like they used to do when the fire brigade took industrial action)? I can imagine the reference desk being manned by a sargeant from the Royal Engineers: "Oh so you wants to look at a book does you?"; "Am I hurting you sonny? Well I should be 'cos I'm standing on your hair"; etc, etc.

Kevin Musgrove said...

And wheeling out the Green Goddesses to do the Mobile Library...

Gadjo Dilo said...

Exactly! That was always such an evocative name for lorry, or indeed for anything.

I apologise here and now and in advance for not taking the troubles of the world entirely seriously, Kevin - laughing to keep from crying, you know. I hope that the strike causes you all a minimum of distress and that normal service is resumed as soon as possible.

Can Bass 1 said...

I can offer my services, if requierd. (Hang on, that would make me a strike-breaker! Better not - the Musicians Union would take a very dim view.)

Lavinia said...

Isn't it funny how the mere thought of having to do something disagreeable, makes one quite tired in advance. I read today that there is a public transit strike happening in Malta. Not very knightly of them, is it.

Kevin Musgrove said...

No apologies necessary, gd!

Derisive laughter is the order of the day round here.