We're taking a bit of a breather while the world rearranges its underpants. Meanwhile, the other blog is here.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Storm and stress

Taking advantage of the strike days to do a bit of Christmas shopping, I bump into Ken Barmy in Hannigan's Truss Boutique. As usual, we swap horror stories about our respective workplaces, with some of his being hair-raising. Eventually, I have to ask the question.
"Ken, why on earth do you stay there?"

"Well, you know that mad idea young men tend to have, that they can change the world?"

"Yes..."

"I still have it. I reckon that if I can change our place then the world is a piece of piss."

"I suppose so..."

"Well, if we don't change, we're fucked."

"So you really reckon you can do it then?"

"Oh no. We're fucked."

I've got a counselling session tomorrow afternoon. It sounds like I'm not the only one who should have one.

3 comments:

Gadjo Dilo said...

I can't help admiring Ken: it's better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all. (There's a Kipling quotation about this somewhere....)

Kevin Musgrove said...

It's the fatalistic pride in failure I find the most disturbing. He seems determined to at least enjoy the awfulness of it.

Lavinia said...

Roll on retirement! Every retired person I know is happy as a pig in mud.