We're taking a bit of a breather while the world rearranges its underpants. Meanwhile, the other blog is here.

Monday, June 16, 2008

Sometimes it's God's way of telling you that you're dead

Hetty asks me a question.

"This book's reserved. It's the only copy and we've contacted the borrower who's got it out and they still haven't brought it back. What do you want me to do about it?"

I'm frankly dumbfounded by the question but I try my best.

"What's the usual procedure when a borrower doesn't return a book that's on hold?"

"I've no idea."

"I'd contact them again but to be on the safe side I'd order an extra copy. It's not like we're short of money for books at the moment."

I mention this to Noreen.

"Oh God. Is that the one Posy Fluff was banging on about last week?"

It turned out that it was.

"Catty Library's been on computerised circulation for nearly twenty years. What did they do about reserved books that hadn't been returned before the library was closed?"

"They rang me or Betty and we told them the same as you."

No comments: