Catty Library has been closed for yonks for reburbishment with a view to re-opening late this summer some time. They've ripped out the electrics and the comms so that they can replace the floor, three walls and the roof. This has, of course, been a golden opportunity for us to reconsider the layout and function within the building. Except that:
- Hours of work by highly-trained professionals has resulted in a back-of-a-fag-packet version of the existing layout.
- The project manager from the architect's department insisted that the electricity and network points be mapped prior to plastering the wall, which was done last month.
- The project manager didn't include costings for furniture, a new counter, etc. in the project.
- He didn't include costings for electricity or comms. either.
- Pay for the furniture, electricity and comms. from the People's Network networking budget, the staffing budget and the DDA funding, thus stiffing ourselves for the year but getting the project manager out of the mire.
- Reinstalling the old (1960s) furniture; paying for the electrics and comms from the networking budget and hoping that the ensuing row shames the council into stumping up for proper replacements.