We're taking a bit of a breather while the world rearranges its underpants. Meanwhile, the other blog is here.

Saturday, September 27, 2008

There's always time for a laugh in the middle of our devotions

I was in a series of meetings yesterday with people from elsewhere in corporate Helminthdale. I was chatting with a bloke from Corporate Oversight who asked what it was like working in libraries these days. I heard myself say:

"The job's hell but the work's really interesting. I can't imagine a more exciting time to be working in public libraries."

And it's true, even taking on board his rejoinder that "most people working in libraries probably chose it precisely because it wouldn't be exciting." I can't imagine a more exciting time to be working in public libraries: the political agenda is full of talk of the importance of information literacy; cultural identity; knowledge-based economies; social cohesion and more reading initiatives than you could shake a stick at. All the prizes are there for the taking.

And the librarians are sulking in the car park and won't even take a step into the dance hall because they didn't get to choose the venue.

No comments: