We're taking a bit of a breather while the world rearranges its underpants. Meanwhile, the other blog is here.

Friday, April 18, 2008

Walter Mitty writes our personnel reports

A long and difficult morning as Milton and I get on with some personnel issues. This includes the first annual employee appraisal I've had in all the years I've worked in the Library Service, despite it being a compulsory corporate requirement since 1991.

By rights we should have had this meeting last year, or else not had it at all. This is supposed to be a top-down process so we shouldn't have had the meeting until after he'd had his appraisal, which is fourteen months late and counting. Milton marvels that the Library Service is allowed to treat these as optional. I just take it as read that the Library Service doesn't take staff management seriously and in this council, once you reach a certain pay grade you will never be held to account for your inactions.

I think the worst part of all this is that Milton lays himself open to too much of my anger and hassle as a result of his trying to do the right thing. We've spent the whole morning tripping over bits of baggage from years ago. One thing it does prove is that my judgement's well out: I'm seriously under-estimating my frustration with this service.

No comments: