We're taking a bit of a breather while the world rearranges its underpants. Meanwhile, the other blog is here.

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Perry Como isn't a Time Lord

I'm talking to Maybelle about a training course she's about to go on.

"It'll be interesting and it's good for my personal career development but I feel like I'm not actually doing the job I'm supposed to be doing. I don't feel like I'm delivering what's expected of me."

"Do you actually know what's expected of you?"

"Well, no, but you know what I mean. I spent all last week sorting out the domestic arrangements for that staff training course. I'm just not delivering."

"Bollocks. Besides the fact that you did all that last week you're now trained and experienced in the doings of it so that if you decide to do something like a reading-and-sharing event for the asylum seekers or a bigger version of your tea shop conversatione you know you can do it."

"Yes... I suppose it is experience..."

"Experience isn't what happens to you, it's what you do with it."

"I know, but you know what I'm like. I don't like the idea of coming in, clocking off, doing nothing then going home. I want to get things done. I'm not happy if I've not actually achieved something with my woking day."

She continued in this vein for some time. Halfway through, I noticed Nancy Bickerdike pottering about just behind me. It became very quickly obvious that Maybelle knew she was there all along. Eventually Nancy pottered off.

"You terrible old woman!" I protested. "And people say that I'm bad!"

"Well, you are. I didn't mean anything about Nancy at all. That wouldn't be like me."

"No..."

Actually, no it wouldn't really. It's a sign of just how much Nancy's been getting under Maybelle's skin lately.

No comments: