We're taking a bit of a breather while the world rearranges its underpants. Meanwhile, the other blog is here.

Friday, June 26, 2009

When I count three, go for your banjo

Frog's finished the schedule of summer holiday activities for kids and mapped it out against The Dreaded Summer Reading Game and sent everything off to the printers and to the lady who puts together the council's summer holidays magazine. There's no time for complacency as there's a humongous pile of other stuff to do, including catching up with sorting out all the problems about the delivery of BookStart boxes to health visitors and the glitch about the day nurseries. There is no administrative overhead to the BookStart programme. Except when T.Aldous or Mary have to spend ten minutes filling in a form with the data that Frog has to amass each week in between arranging van deliveries of materiel and then rearranging them because Mary's decided to save some money on the agency driver by not having them come in that day; or else T.Aldous and Julia have got him ferrying boxes of God Knows What between libraries; or bringing back boxes of old newspapers to put in our bin.

In the midst of all this Joy, T.Aldous brings customer feedback from the non-existant library at Mattressbrook.

"They say that they had a juggler come to the library last year, so why have you booked a juggler again this year? They're fed up with jugglers and want a change."

They're getting a juggler because he's cheap and Frog's budget for delivering two months' worth of events over a couple of dozen locations is the same as it was in 1993.

4 comments:

Madame DeFarge said...

Couldn't you play 'Let's mess about with Mary's diary' - a game for all the family.

You have no idea how much I love this blog. I helped out in the school library, my first job was in my uni library (superb shelving technique apparently) and I've always hankered after being a librarian. I blame Philip Larkin. You are one of my faves. Now I'm blushing, I'll go.

Lavinia said...

The time for complacency is long past. Mary's high-handedness has spiralled to dangerous levels. Forget the juggler. How about an animal act? I suggest this in all seriousness, no jokes in poor taste notwithstanding.

Anonymous said...

tell them the story about the spider!

Kevin Musgrove said...

Madame DeF: I suspect Mary's diary is an idea in the mind of God.

And I admire your low standards, thank you. (-:

Lavinia: we used to have a couple of people come in with live animals, and very popular they were too. Sadly, both have retired and we can't afford the going rate for people trying to make a living.

Anonymous: I've told them the story about the spider. Do pay attention, there'll be a test after lights-out.