We're taking a bit of a breather while the world rearranges its underpants. Meanwhile, the other blog is here.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I came here to read the unicorn's posterior and somebody stole me ladder

How to make your staff feel good about having gone away for a couple of days' training and earning a useful certificate of prowess.

Sybil's been and gone and completed a course. It's been the work of years: the course itself took three days but it took Policy Team fifteen years to move from "somebody should take this course" to "somebody will take this course," then another two to get to "please could we have volunteers to take this course" and six months to "the volunteer will go on this course." Unfortunately, the first senior manager she sees on her return is Mary.

"Hello Sybil. How was your course?"

"Really good, I really enjoyed it. There are a few things I need to do to follow things up. Do I need to talk to you or T.Aldous?"

"Oh, there's no need to do anything with it."

4 comments:

Lavinia said...

Mary Mary quite contrary! First the "Planning Ahead" post, and now this.

Isn't it high time someone had 'a word' with this Mary?

On this side of the pond we have a useful phrase: kick in the pants!

Madame DeFarge said...

wv is 'snerve' - which is presumably what Mary has in abundance.

I don't go on course, being perfect as I am.

Gadjo Dilo said...

Was it a course about how to go on courses?

Kevin Musgrove said...

Lavinia: we suspect we're going to have a summer of nonsense from her.

Madame DF: quote so my dear

Gadjo: I was once sent on a four-day "How To Study" course (not by the Library Service!). I taught myself mirror-writing and origami.