We're taking a bit of a breather while the world rearranges its underpants. Meanwhile, the other blog is here.

Monday, August 03, 2009

Dynamic tension

I like to imagine that I've never met an idea I couldn't get my head around. Every so often this place reminds me just how wrong I am.

Doreen's asked Frog to do a major stock-edit of the early years collections. She reckons that there's twice as much stock on those shelves as there should be and so half should come off.
"The nurseries and children's centres are gagging for board books and picture books. Wouldn't it be a better idea for us to let them borrow thirty or so of them at a time?" asks Frog. "We'd get the issue figures, we'd get the good PR and partnership ticks and they'd get a service."

"No, I don't think that would be a good idea at all. If we let them borrow those books we wouldn't have any left on the shelves. It's best that you stock-edit them."

So there we have it: if you're massively overstocked with books in a public library, don't loan them out to people who want them on an ongoing basis, chuck them out.

2 comments:

Alice Scradcza said...

Is same in my company. I need a new welding elctrode; I go to storeman and say "Give me electrode". He says "No, I only have one left." So why can't I have it, I ask. "Someone might need it" he say. Madness.

Kevin Musgrove said...

Hello and welcome, Alice!

English factory storemen are legends unto themselves. Or as Mike Harding once said: "the storeman's job is to give you one of two things: nowt or bugger all."