We're taking a bit of a breather while the world rearranges its underpants. Meanwhile, the other blog is here.

Saturday, August 29, 2009

There's never a labrador puppy when you really need one

Bronwyn's covering at Umpty today. There's been the usual trouble with vandals there lately so they have to keep the toilet doors locked and customers have to ask for the key. A little old lady asked for the key, which Bronwyn duly proffered.

After a while Bronwyn started to worry.
"Oh shit. She'll have forgotten and put the key in her pocket and wandered off and I don't know if there's a spare anywhere."

Unfortunately she was on her own and the library was busy so she couldn't nip over to investigate.

After a few minutes another little old lady wandered up to the counter.
"Excuse me, do you have any paper?"

"There's some scrap here if you're wanting to make a note of anything."

"No, I mean toilet paper."

"Toilet paper?"

"My friend's using your loo and she's just texted me to say there's no paper and please could I get her some."

9 comments:

Charlie said...

Hilarious, Kevin: Finally a legitimate, nay life-saving, use for texting.

Smart LOLs (Little Old Ladies) too for knowing how to text. After four years, I still have difficulty making calls on my cell phone. My wife insists that I'm reading the Portuguese instructions, but I'm not so sure.

Gadjo Dilo said...

:-) You see, teach The Comunity how to use modern technology and it back fires on you by increasing their expectations.

Pat said...

Gosh that's a cautionary tale!
LOLs if you can't text (like me) always carry a little toilet paper or wet wipes. This is especially important if you are in India - or similar.

Macy said...

Only a matter of time before the wee LOLS are off on Twitter...Be Very Afraid

Madame DeFarge said...

Like others, I am impressed by the use of technology by LOLs. When we next turn our backs, they'll take over the world with their mad desire for technology and Jean Plaidy.

Affer said...

Technology ruins everything. It used to be such fun when one could usher people towards the bogs knowing either that there was no paper or that there was a faulty lock. Now, few people are left locked in overnight, which is quite sad really......

The Topiary Cow said...

This is fantastic. So glad that little old ladies have found a good use for their Blackberries or what-not.

Moo!

Kevin Musgrove said...

It's always the LOLs that the Reference Librarians are telling off for using their mobiles in the library.

And there are always other ways of locking them in the lavatory...

the.effing.librarian said...

A tale of Blackberrys and dingleberries... (yes, I'm sorry)