We're taking a bit of a breather while the world rearranges its underpants. Meanwhile, the other blog is here.

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Stains on my notebook

I bump into an old colleague from another life. We've not seen each other for years; I have the sense not to tell her she looks stunning. We got talking and I asked after her family. She was extremely worried about her eldest:

"He's dropped out of uni. and become a beach bum. He's spending all his time windsurfing. We're at our wits end."

"Is he happy?" I asked.

"Deliriously so," she replied bitterly.

"The world's full of sad middle-aged men who were going to change the world," I reminded her.

I'm glad I didn't give her a hug.

5 comments:

Pat said...

If he's happy and not on drugs that's something surely.

martine said...

lots of sad middle aged women too:-) thanks for sharing, just the reminder i needed
martine

Nota Bene said...

Oh, and I thought I was the only one...

Macy said...

University's overrated - the two richest guys I know never went, and could buy and sell quite a few graduates now...

Kevin Musgrove said...

Pat: quite so.

Sorry Martine!

Nota Bene: erm...

Macy: certainly true. Even we can afford them these days.