We're taking a bit of a breather while the world rearranges its underpants. Meanwhile, the other blog is here.

Saturday, August 02, 2008

Are you sitting comfortably?

Let's make a start with the catching up...

I've been thinking about Ken Barmy's saying that he still wants to change the world. I see his point about changing the world. I mentioned this to my counsellor the other day and she asked me if I wasn't just setting myself impossible goals. I heard myself reply:

"There isn't a lot in this world that really is impossible, if you think about it."

Which is true enough. Think about it: people are turning water into wine every day of the week; they're using vines and vats and time to make the miracle but the miracle they make. And we all of us change the world, all the time, for good or bad. It's all a matter of scale and time and expectation.

I can change the world, and I can change the Library Service. I'm just going about it the wrong way. I've come to the conclusion that I can't do it by being 'nice,' though I'd hope I wouldn't stoop to some of the nonsense that goes on.

In the midst of my mulling this over, Jim took me to one side.

"I've news for you..."

"Oh yes?"

"I've got another job. I've just put in my notice."

"Oh fuck."

"Funnily enough, that's what Milton said."

"Have you told T.Aldous."

"Funnily enough he helped me with the application form."
We'll have to have a sweepstakes on when, if ever, his job gets advertised. There's a whole future ahead of us; we could do with disinterring the world's biggest whiteboard to do the honours.

No comments: