We're taking a bit of a breather while the world rearranges its underpants. Meanwhile, the other blog is here.

Monday, August 11, 2008

News from the Empire

A correspondent writes:

Another gem from our IT section. This morning I rang to ask if they could reboot one of our servers for me. I have been told I can't ring someone directly down there who might understand what I want and simply go and perform such a straightforward task, I have to ring the unhelpful desk or whatever they are calling themselves this week. Of course they had to make out a "ticket", or work out how to make a "ticket" as they didn't seem to know. Sort of got a bit exasperated when they asked me for the badge number of the server, "it is down there, how do I know?"

Protestations to the effect that if I was near enough to read the badge number I was certainly near enough, and able enough, to reboot the thing fell on deaf ears. Having then pointed out I could have walked down there and rebooted it myself in the time it was taking to complete the "ticket" eventually he went away to find out how to reboot said server.

Quite efficiently once they had rebooted server I got an e-mail asking for feedback. THEY WANT FEEDBACK ON HOW WELL THEY PERFORMED IN REBOOTING A SERVER.

3 comments:

Gadjo Dilo said...

Feedback, eh? Is everybody so paranoid these days? I suppose people want feedback on their feedback too. I think this has a name - it's named after that brand of cocoa which has a picture on the packet of a women holding a packet of cocoa which has on it a picture of a women holding a packet of cocoa which has on it...

The Topiary Cow said...

Oh.My.Gosh.

Lock up the servers in 'secure' locations then complain and make it difficult for anybody to reboot them, who used to be able to do it themselves.

Possibly if they receive enough negative feedback they'll stop asking?

Moo!

Kevin Musgrove said...

If it's anything like my experience they'll then lock up the server and give me "member of the public" user permissions!