We're taking a bit of a breather while the world rearranges its underpants. Meanwhile, the other blog is here.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Libray 2.0

Popping into Hannigan's Truss Boutique this lunchtime to see if I could pick up any post-Mothering Sunday bargains I bump into Ken Barmy. He is livid. His chief had been to a local Big Chief's Pow-Wow and been inspired by a presentation by one of the more bumptious chief's acolytes.

"The bugger then gave me a lecture on blogging. And Facebook. And Myspace. And Twitter. And asked why we hadn't done these things as they're ever so easy and they're an excellent way of reaching out to new audiences. And we can't stay in the dark ages you know.

"So I pointed out that
  • I'd created some blogs a couple of years ago and nobody much cared;
  • I'd raised the issue of social networking sites in a few hundred emails to my lords and masters over the years will nil response;
  • I'd pointed out in a presentation to them that they were going to have to get their heads around the possibilities and in response they said that they should be the ones creating our web pages; and
  • if it takes four months to get any official word about the opening of a library that I can put onto our existing web site there's not a cat in hell's chance of them Twittering effectively.

"So the upshot is that I need to get my finger out because the world's moving on and we can't be standing still."


There's always somebody worse off than yourself, thank God.

2 comments:

Gadjo Dilo said...

Hurrah, Ken's back! "I'd created some blogs a couple of years ago and nobody much cared" - you talking about this one, our Kevin??

Kevin Musgrove said...

Oh no, Gadjo. I feel duty bound to protect Ken's identity until he gets offered something interesting pension-wise so I can't point you to some of the stuff he's done. Like me, he was wasting his time trying to do anything positive about promoting his libraries.