We're taking a bit of a breather while the world rearranges its underpants. Meanwhile, the other blog is here.

Friday, February 20, 2009

You would be liaible to imprisonment if captured, but your friends could claim your clothes and chest

Been out and about today. Had lunch with a colleague from elsewhere and compared notes. As is too often usual, the stories are depressingly familiar. To be honest, it started to get me down a bit:

"I thought you were doing all sorts of clever things to change the way you worked at your place," I protested.

"Oh we have. And now we've done that it's back to business as usual with fucking big boots on."

"We all go through this nonsense," I sighed, "does anything ever change anywhere?"

"Besides the pay cuts?"

"Besides the pay cuts."

"Actually, we have got one change."

"Oh yes?"

"Yes. Any member of staff has a clever idea they can email it to our leadership team for to be looked at. Improves efficiency no end."

"Better ways of working?" I asked hopefully.

"It saves the buggers having to hunt the good ideas down before killing them stone dead. We send them to the execution chamber directly."

On the way back I'm appalled that the only difference between us is that he's actually done this analysis.

7 comments:

Pat said...

One of my sons suggested that all computers were turned off at night and was given £200 as a reward.

Kevin Musgrove said...

How the other half live, Pat!

I insisted that all computers were turned off at night and got told not to create problems for staff at end of day.

Lavinia said...

Kev, I once ran into trouble over dot stickers. Many years and many jobs ago. Don't ask. Don't bother. Seems to be the mantra!

Gadjo Dilo said...

I asked why the computers were not turned off at night as was looked at silently as if I were an silly old git.

Kevin Musgrove said...

Lavinia: dot stickers!!! I've kept them out of this blog because after all these years I still can't understand the hand-to-hand combat about them and can't even find a way of explaining what goes on!

Gadjo: Quite right too: at day end, get up, leave the PC switched on and logged on, go home, come back and moan that you're worried about network security and that other people might get into your email and what are 'they' doing about it? The fact that people can't be arsed is, apparently, a computer system problem.

Lavinia said...

Hand to hand combat? That's putting it mildly!

Kevin Musgrove said...

You have my sympathy!