We're taking a bit of a breather while the world rearranges its underpants. Meanwhile, the other blog is here.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Fog arranged tastefully in mahogany display cases

Maybelle is Not Happy. In fact, her body language says: "I'm fucking well not happy," which is notable because she can usually present as being calm and can-do. I'm a little puzzled as she's working on a set of display boards, which is something she usually takes in her stride with obscene ease. So I drift over to be nosy...

"What's the display for?"

"Next week's 'Equality Plus' day at the Town Hall. It's an opportunity for the public, particularly from minority groups, to come along and be told by councillors what a good job we do of treating everyone equally."

"So we're doing a display?"

"All the council's services are doing displays. Mary told us about it the other week and asked Nancy to take a lead on it. Nancy took a lead on it by saying to me: 'Maybelle, you're good at displays, can I leave this with you?' and then she did."

"What's the brief?"

"There isn't any brief. I was just given a box of leaflets and bits of paper her team have laminated and I've been told to put a display together."

"Err... are those the materials she's provided."

"Yes. Horrible, aren't they? I'm not going to use them. The problem is, I don't know what I should be doing with any of this."

"What's the key message?"

"The key message is: 'I don't know why I'm doing this.' Do you think I should collar Mary and Nancy again and try and get them to tell me what the working brief should be?"

"I think you need a cup of tea."

"Yes, I think that's more like it."

No comments: