We're taking a bit of a breather while the world rearranges its underpants. Meanwhile, the other blog is here.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Observations on the spontaneous motions

Helminthdale Reference Library is not the haven of quiet, donnish research that you might imagine, nor that the Reference Librarians might claim when justifying their stock selections. Some right yobs come in to use the computers or, worse, read the papers (in my experience some of the people who read The Investors' Chronicle have the manners of pigs).

Dora's covering up there this morning. One of the customers recognises her:

"Oh I wasn't expecting you up here. Shouldn't you be at Gypsy Lane?"

"Not any more. I'm having to work up here these days."

"How are you liking it?"

"I'm not really. There's some very ignorant people up here."

"Yes, and I expect you find that some of the public aren't much better."

No comments: