We're taking a bit of a breather while the world rearranges its underpants. Meanwhile, the other blog is here.

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Are we there yet?

A year ago I was warned that parts of the network in Catty were going to change in July 2005 and so the antediluvean PCs in the Children's Library would have to be decommissioned. The network has been changed successfully and these PCs no longer work. There are now complaints that these don't work. T. Aldous returns from the staff meeting at Catty Library:

"The PCs in the Children's Library at Catty don't work."

"No, they don't."

"How much notice did IT give us that they wouldn't be working?"

"They told us a year ago."

"So what's been done?"

"According to my email archive, a year ago I suggested that we buy some new PCs and have them installed and set up as replacements.

"Nine months ago I suggested that we buy some new PCs to replace them.

"Six months ago I strongly advised that we buy some new PCs to replace them.

"Five months ago I asked you for the money to buy some new PCs to replace them.

"Three months ago I sent you a quotation for replacement PCs and asked for the money to buy the PCs for replacements.

"Three weeks ago I told you that these PCs will be decommissioned and we need to replace them p.d.q."

"Yes, yes, I know all that. What's actually been done?"

"Apparently you read six emails."