We're taking a bit of a breather while the world rearranges its underpants. Meanwhile, the other blog is here.

Monday, February 22, 2010

A red mist spread over the lawn

It wouldn't be fair to say that people aren't trying to engage in change. If I take a step back and look at what people are doing and the tentative steps they're taking then by any objective measure they are trying to engage in change, however fitfully or wrong-headedly.

But I don't want to be fair.

We've had public access PCs for the best part of a decade now (a sobering thought in itself). I get 'phone calls like this:

"There's a problem with the booking system."

"What's up with it?"

"It's so slow we've lost the connection with it completely."

"Let's have a look... Yes, I'll need to report that to the help desk, it looks like there's a problem with the server. There's nothing I could expect you to do to try to solve the problem."

"So what are you going to do?"

"I'm going to report it to the help desk."

"Well what do I say to the people standing here wanting to go onto the PCs?"


Now what would you do chums?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The gremlins have stolen the stabilizers from the computers. We've sent a posse of witches out to track down the gremlins down but we're not quite sure how long it wil take them. The computers dont work properly until the witches punish the Gremlins and return with the datbilizers. We'll let you know as soon as this happens. Until then anyone for solitaire?

(or have I missed the point somewhere. I'm easily confused)

Pat said...

'What part of what I have just told you do you not understand?'
Said in a quiet and caring way.
Has your hair gone grey yet Kev?

Kevin Musgrove said...

Wendy: you're reading from the manual, aren't you?

pat: quite some time ago. And even on my head.

syncopated eyeball said...

Put up a sign and then go hide somewhere: 'Due to circumstances beyond our control our public access computers are unavailable for use. Estimated time of arrival of help as yet unknown.'