We're taking a bit of a breather while the world rearranges its underpants. Meanwhile, the other blog is here.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

This chemical has been shown to cause sarcasm in mice

Verity is in lumber. The shutters to the main door at Roadkill Library wouldn't open so they've had to open them manually. The problem is that they don't close manually so unless it's fixed by close of play she'll either have to leave the place wide open (the door doesn't lock if the shutter mechanism isn't engaged) or else camp out in the library overnight. She followed the set procedure and reported the repair to Maisie who then reported it to Building Services. Verity then tried to contact Julia, who's in charge of that library, inter alia. Julia was in a meeting. Over the next twenty minutes, which tells you more than you want to know about our telephone systems, interpersonal communications and practical application of knowledge management techniques, Verity spoke to Doreen, Milton, Sybil and Noreen to try to get the budget codes necessary to authorise the repairs. (Sybil and Noreen don't have access to the budget codes but at least they will answer the 'phone.)

A couple of hours later, Julia decides to give Verity a dressing down.

"You shouldn't have done anything until you'd spoken to me," says Julia.

"I rang and you were in a meeting. So I sent you an email marked urgent explaining what had happened so that you'd be able to pick it up when you got out of your meeting," explained Verity.

"I went straight from that meeting into another one."

"I know. Then when I rang you for the third time you were on your way over to Dutch Bend. So I asked Milton if he could sort things out because we were getting a bit worried about it."

"You'll never be able to get an electrician at this time in the afternoon."

"He's here at the moment. Do you want a word with him?" asked Verity.


9 comments:

savannah said...

oh, oh, oh, somehow i don't think this is going to end well, sugar. xoxoxox

Macy said...

Verity 1 Julia Nil
Go Verity!!!!

geraldgee said...

Never a dull moment?

Kevin Musgrove said...

savannah: my money's on Verity.

Macy: yay!

geraldgee: if only, I could do with a few!

zmkc said...

I hate Julia - if I were Verity, I'd be storming out the open doors, unsuccessfully slamming them behind me

Pat said...

I'll bet Julia's glad she's not up to any hanky panky with a stalker like Verity.

Kevin Musgrove said...

zmkc: I'm ashamed to say that I did that once...

Pat: this isn't stalking, this is our standard management interface. Verity's quite laid back and only rings Julia when she thinks she really, really has no alternative whatever. Some people would have left a message at each and every library just in case. And then rung round again to make sure that somebody had taken the message. And even then you can't be sure that they'll get the message.

Personally, I can't be arsed any more. I send them an email, they don't read the email, job done.

Britta said...

Fascinated ... guessing...waiting for the next instalment...

savannah said...

somehow today's turf war over who prepared lunch seems so timid! i think my money's on verity, too, sugar! xoxoxox