We're taking a bit of a breather while the world rearranges its underpants. Meanwhile, the other blog is here.

Friday, June 11, 2010

It can happen to anyone and I know it will get worse

It's been a funny week...

I'll admit to engineering the meeting between Frog, Bronwyn, Maybelle and Nancy that came up with a set of proposals which we now know chime pretty well with something the council has decided that Library Policy & Strategic Management Team (this week) have to do.

And I encouraged the meeting between Posy and Henry that seems to have given Posy some useful ideas. And suggested a few questions some other people could ask in meetings. And helped a couple of people paint their managers into a corner so that they had to give a 'yes or no' answer to the question: "are we doing this?" And asked a couple of innocent questions that will have repercussions in about six months' time.

It was Frog's idea to drag Bronwyn and Posy out to the Monkey's for lunch. Bronwyn was a bit stressed after trying to sort something out with the reference library and a different aspect of the same something with Jack Harry (essentially, putting her foot down and telling two people over whom she has no authority that neither of them is getting their own way, without using the words "lazy," "idiotic," "hidebound" or "pillock," for which she has my utmost respect). It was a good idea: over lunch Bronwyn solved the Doreen Problem for them. I had to laugh: most of our service development and project planning is done over lunch at the Monkey's.

Library Policy & Strategic Management Team (this week) thanked me for not shouting at them in a meeting on Wednesday. I thanked them for not giving me anything to get cross about.

As Maybelle and I were talking our way around another set of problems somebody had created for her and Bronwyn I stopped in mid-sentence.

"Who died and made me God?" I asked.

"You worry about that far too much you know," she replied.

Perhaps I do.

5 comments:

Pat said...

I just can't imagine you shouting.

Macy said...

Lolski- if you were God then that would make Helminthdale Heaven... John the Baptist? Hair shirt.. wilderness...

Kevin Musgrove said...

Pat: I'm not good at it, 'tis true.

Macy: Helminthdale is the veriest Heaven.

Madame DeFarge said...

You sound positively Machiavellian. And I love it.

Kevin Musgrove said...

Madame deF: no, I'm far too simple a soul to do anything clever.