We're taking a bit of a breather while the world rearranges its underpants. Meanwhile, the other blog is here.

Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Heavy falls of surgical lint in Leeds

Nipping out for lunch I bump into Harvey Cartwheel, one of the council's marketing people, brandishing a camera on the main shopping drag.

"You're a bit keen, aren't you?" I ask.

"We're trying to get together a pile of photos for a branding exercise to get some inward investment into the borough. I've got to get pictures of happy smiling shopping people. You can't imagine how difficult that is. Still, third time lucky I guess."

"Not much luck?"

A flourish of the hand encompassed the street.

"Look at it. Lunchtime in the run up to Christmas."

"Surely, half-empty shopping streets filled with surly brutes is the Helminthdale brand?"

"That would be accurate, right enough. It would be nice to be aspirational."

I wished him luck with his doomed exercise and made my way through the merry throng saying "How much?!" as they window-shopped the Help The Aged outlet.

6 comments:

Madame DeFarge said...

I'm surprised that, with your sense of corporate responsibility, you didn't volunteer to be one of the gurning yeoman for the photies. You'd have looked lovely.

Kevin Musgrove said...

Madame DeF: sadly, I don't show up on silver emulsion fillum

The Topiary Cow said...

Surly brutes, eh?

Ghost of Christmas future for Cow's neighborhood, probably...

Moo!

Gadjo Dilo said...

"...I don't show up on silver emulsion fillum" I see a picture book in this called Where's Kevin?: spot the barely visible apparition... is he looking out of the window? Sitting on a park bench smoking a cigarette? Or is that his face on the cover of Spons' Builders Merchants catalogue in the Reference Library?

Macy said...

Of course even charity shops are ASPIRATIONAL these days...

Kevin Musgrove said...

Ms. Cow: past, present and future in Helminthdale. Hope you fare better.

Gadjo: smoking a haddock on the cover of the High School Musical Annual.

Macy: I feel uncomfortable giving to charities that are so very much more openly affluent than I could manage.