- ordinarily the call would have been taken by Tilly to report and that in her absence it would have been taken by the finance clerk (another vacancy);
- the notes on who to contact should be somewhere on Tilly's desk but they're not there because Tilly must have put them somewhere;
- Mary's usually in at this time in the morning if Tilly's not here;
- the procedures for reporting repairs have changed recently;
- T.Aldous knows who to contact so he'll deal with it;
- the procedures keep changing, you used to just give Norman in admin a ring but the admin team's been reorganised and Norman's doing something else these days;
- Tilly really should have been in today.
Of course none of this would have been necessary if "how to report a repair at a library" wasn't a state secret. Or if libraries could report the repairs themselves instead of having to report them to Tilly or T.Aldous.